UCCS William J. Hybl Sports Medicine and Performance Center
"I truly believe the center will be a one-of-a-kind facility in the nation, if not the world.”
Venkat Reddy, Chancellor, The University of Colorado Colorado Springs
RTA teamed with HOK and JE Dunn to develop a program plan and design for the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (UCCS) William J. Hybl Sports Medicine and Performance Center. The Hybl Center is a partnership between UCCS and Penrose-St. Francis Health Services/Centura Health. The facility integrates medical care, research, performance, instruction, and patient education into a 104,634 SF state-of-the-art center. It provides a unique multidisciplinary academic environment, with education and research opportunities for both undergraduate and graduate students, that combines academic instruction and clinical practice.
The program document and design for this high-profile City for Champions project were developed in close collaboration with project stakeholders including Penrose-St. Francis and Centura Health staff and UCCS performance research faculty. A primary goal of the design was to promote collaborative interaction among staff, students, researchers, physicians, and faculty. Sustainability was also a focus of the design, and the facility is LEED Gold certified.
Almost half of the building square footage is set aside for medical care, physical therapy and rehab, and sports performance training. The rest is used for an anatomy/physio lab, research labs, lecture halls, a nutrition lab, and classrooms as well as administrative space for faculty and staff. The new facility serves up to 1,400 students per day and includes office space for 45 faculty.
- Square footage: 104,634 SF
- Cost: $54.4M
- Extensive involvement with multiple stakeholders
- High profile City for Champions project
- Integrated state-of-the-art programs for professional and high-level amateur athletes, first responders, and clinical research
- LEED Gold certified
- Unique multidisciplinary academic environment
- Photography by Frank Ooms
- Read more about the LYNNEL art products used in this project
- 2020 Award for Construction Excellence (ACE), Best Building Project, General Contractor $40-$70M, Presented by the Associated General Contractors (AGC) Colorado
- 2020 Best Education Project, Presented by the Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA) Rocky Mountain Region