Fairview High School Renovations
Fairview High School, originally built in the early 1970s, is a comprehensive four-year public high school in Boulder, Colorado. Though Fairview High School has been continuously recognized with numerous educational awards for its curriculum, the school’s aging facilities were in need of an upgrade.
Through the Design Advisory Team (DAT) process involving six meetings, the group communicated clear goals to evolve the educational model through the implementation of flexible learning environments, where renovations occur. Deep energy retrofit across the entire 264,000 square feet of the existing building were also included, targeting a 40% reduction in yearly Kbtu energy usage
Major renovations included Language Arts classrooms, Special Education, the auditorium, and the kitchen and cafeteria. The renovated spaces take full advantage of the natural light by incorporating skylights and solar tubes as well as capitalizing on the one-of-a-kind views that surround the school. Additional space for instruction, staff collaboration, flexible gathering spaces for students, and group collaboration spaces was incorporated. A new multi-purpose fitness room was also created along with a new press box at the athletic field. The new Fairview High School incorporates sustainability and energy-efficient design and construction standards to ensure healthy learning environments for the students, as well as to ensure long-term energy savings for the District.
- Square footage: 68,000sf
- Project cost: $18.105M
- Collaborative design process
- 21st Century learning environments, collaborative group learning and teaching spaces, and flexible furnishings
- New art suite and updated ceramics lab
- Energy-efficiency upgrades with extensive daylighting
- Remodeled kitchen, cafeteria, and auditorium
- Modernized weight room, multi-purpose room, and new press box
- Flexible common areas to support multiple learning environments
- Interior finish, ADA, and security improvements
- Photography by Vic Moss
- 2020 Award of Merit, K-12 Education, Presented by Engineering News-Record (ENR) Mountain States.