Springfield Hospital Addition and Renovation
Southeast Colorado Hospital District is a not-for-profit Critical Access Hospital located in Springfield, Colorado that has served the rural community of Baca County since 1969 with comprehensive health care services to its isolated service area in eastern Colorado. The last addition was the Physicians Medical Clinic facility in 2007, designed by RTA. Current challenges at the hospital included double-occupancy rooms, security issues, and a Rehabilitation Department that is separated from the main campus in the Annex Building and is too small to accommodate the community’s medical needs.
RTA was selected through a competitive process and began by hosting a community meeting to hear the needs of local hospital users, three user group meetings for the staff, and a visioning workshop with hospital leadership. RTA also performed a LiDAR scan of the building to create accurate as-builts for the building.
The design phases have been completed while USDA funding is being obtained. Construction will be multi-phased to allow for uninterrupted patient care and to be flexible with the hospital’s project financial/loan determinants:
- Phase 1 includes the rehabilitation and receiving/loading dock addition, the beginning of patient room renovations, all support staff renovations, and the Emergency Department addition and renovation.
- Phase 2 will continue renovations to the patient rooms, the kitchen and Dietary department, and a courtyard addition.
- Phase 3 will finish renovations to the patient rooms and admin/waiting areas as well as a lab expansion and renovation with the addition of a decontamination shower.
Construction is expected to be approximately 15 months.
- Square footage: 22,960 sf
- Renovation: 16,280 sf
- New: 6,680 sf
- Project cost: $12.5M
- Multi-phased renovation and addition in an occupied facility
- Improved patient and staff safety and efficiency
- Updated and renovated Patient Care Unit (PCU) with single-occupancy patient rooms
- Expanded and relocated Rehabilitation Department
- Expanded receiving/loading dock area
- Central Utility Plant (CUP) upgrades
- New Emergency Department (ED) with a separate entry